Monday, July 25, 2011

Everybody's Favorite Neighbor

I'm far from a perfect man. I sometimes snap to anger much too quickly. Sometimes lash out in sarcasm rather than taking a moment to pause and understand someone. Sometimes shut out people and ideas without even a second's consideration.

But I do try to be a good person with an open mind and heart. I try to treat the people around me fairly and with compassion. And, even at his ripe young age of 5 months, I strive to pass this onto my son.

Lately, I have rediscovered a guru for these sorts of matters: Mr. Rogers. When I'm home with my son and find myself wound too tightly, I'll search out YouTube videos of this great man who has taught decency, kindness, and love to more children than anyone else in the realm of pop culture. The videos have a calming effect on me and remind me of what is important.

Sure, he may seem to make things over simplistic. Heck, sometimes he even comes across as simple. But that couldn't be further from reality. I love this video from 1969 where he completely disarms a cranky Senator Pastore with kind words and earns a boatload of money for PBS in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment