Friday, June 24, 2011

Great, Now He Has Opinions...

The other day, after I fed Buck his early morning bottle, I continued with my usual morning routine of brewing some coffee, checking emails and taking a look at the day's headlines. A few sips into my coffee, what sounded like a fire engine rushing toward a three-alarm fire burst through the speaker of the baby monitor. I mentally went down the crying baby checklist: not hungry, not sleepy, not wet. Hmmm.

I walked down to his room and discovered, for the first time since tears started accompanying his wails, that there were no waterworks offered from this three-alarm situation. I thought, so, he finally figured out that if he wants me bedside all he has to do is scream real loud. The fake cry. I'm going to have to up my daddy game.

Around the same time, I began to realize that he was having more fussy moments throughout the day. But again, there were usually no tears. Ahhhh, so he's starting to voice his preferences. The concept that my son was starting to have opinions of his own was both amazing and scary. Amazing because after 4 mere months my boy was starting to find his own place in the grand scheme of things. Scary because if he takes after me or my wife I will soon be faced with more opinions than I know what to do with.

2 comments:

  1. haha, oh buddy, you just wait. This is only the itty bitty beginning. The most fun is when they learn to say the word "NO!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh brother... I guess I also should look forward to the arrival of that other favorite word "why?" as well.

    ReplyDelete